вторник, 30 августа 2016 г.

Bunmi Laditan

No automatic alt text available.
I bought this wood carving a couple years ago and it hangs in my house. The minute I saw it I understood.
The mother depicted is doing her best, despite all of the things going on in her life. She looks tired, maybe even distraught, but she still keeps her child close to her.
This summer hasn't been an easy one, but I'm proud of myself because I've taken good care of my children. Not just their outward appearances, but their hearts and minds. I haven't been perfect- sometimes I yell, I make Kraft macaroni and cheese when I should make some kind vegetable-rich organic stew, I forget to make them brush their teeth, they've watched way too much YouTube, the laundry situation is in SHAMBLES, and every now and then I steal off to the bathroom for a few minutes alone to just breathe (or cry), but I've been there for them. They know they have me and that's everything.
I believe that the most noble work you can do is to protect and nurture a child: to preserve their innocence and their sense of self. That's more valuable than anything that you can buy for them.
Children don't need iPads, designer clothes, big homes, or expensive schools as much as they need to know that they rise and set the sun for someone. That's all I wanted as a child and I'm happy to give it to mine.
I've been making some big decisions that truly scare the shit out of me, even though I know I'm doing the right thing and frankly, I'm tired of being strong. Sometimes it feels easier to stop swimming against the current and just let the waves take you where they will.
On the hard days, the ones where I wonder what the hell I'm doing, all it takes is one look into my 3-year-old son's big, rambunctious dark brown eyes to know that all of this is worth it. It's worth my almost 7-year-olds's radiant smile. It's worth my 10-year-old's melodic laughter.
All mothers know they would die for their children, but to truly live for them, with them, that's something special.
At the end of the day, at the end of my life, what would make me feel like a success has nothing to do with money, career, or anything the world can give me, but instead how my children felt under my roof. I want them to look back and say, "I was loved. Yeah, my mom couldn't organize for shit, and she ordered pizza a lot, but she loved me and she saw me."
That's really all that matters. Have a good weekend, you guys. Hang in there. You got this. xoxo Bunmi

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий